Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Oh No! Not Again!

The end of the month of January I had pneumonia. I don't know how I got it, however, the "how" doesn't matter. The fact that I got it must have worn me down quite a bit because three weeks later (middle of February) I caught strep throat from my darling 2 year old. He didn't mean to share it. It's just hard not to share germs when you're two; sipping from others' cups, having bites of shared food, putting everything in your mouth... it just happens.

It's two weeks since I was diagnosed. As a matter of fact, two weeks to the day. The Thursday that I stayed home from school to pump myself up on antibiotics I meticulously wiped everything down with Clorox wipes. I wiped doorknobs, lightswitches, phones, remotes, counters, handles, everything I could think of. I also washed all sheets and clothing and sprayed pillows with disinfectant. I bought new toothbrushes for every member of the family. I was confident that we killed it. With three of the four of us finishing up antibiotics I figured we had gotten the best of it. Chops and I finished our drugs this Saturday, while hubby - who wasn't as timely taking his antibiotics is still finishing.

But wait.

My older one spiked a fever at school yesterday. My husband picked him up, and I called the doctor to have him seen just because I knew what we had just come through. Monkey was the only one NOT to come down with the nasty fever, aches, and runny nose - not to mention the fiery sore throat that comes with the strep bug. The doctor swabbed his throat even though he didn't have a sore throat. Two swabs - one 5 minute test, one 24 hour test. The five minute test was negative.

My husband stayed home from work this morning so I could go teach my kids, and then I planned to come home to take the afternoon shift so Jeremy could go in to work. He called me at work this morning to inform me that the doctor's office called with information that the 24 hour test was positive. UGH!

And so, after my preschoolers went home on their bus I tied up some loose ends and then made my way home. Between school and home my throat started to feel sticky. I called to see if I could get in to see my doctor this afternoon to no avail. The next available appointment is 7:45 am tomorrow. It's mine.

By 4 o'clock this afternoon I could barely swallow. I phoned in my sick day to school and sent my lesson plans ahead (praise God for email). Now we wait.

In the mean time my Chopsy decided to do what a 2 year old does and found Josh's toothbrush. Of course, he put it in his mouth. He may be going to the doctor tomorrow too.

No comments: