Friday, January 7, 2011

The Friendships of Women



Many years ago my father-in-law loaned a book to me... or maybe he gave it to me... I'm not sure which.  I still have it.  If it belonged to the library I would owe a HUGE sum of money on it by now.  But, I digress.

The book, entitled The Friendships of Women, was a great read.  It described how God created women to be relational - emotionally and spiritually, showing us a true picture of who He is.

As I was headed out of town last weekend to visit my longtime friend, AKA  BFF - I considered her place in my life... as well as the other women that I consider family.  There are not many, but those that the Lord has placed there are so special for so many different reasons.  It's actually funny when I think that the Lord placed these wonderful women in my life... because I couldn't have done as fantastic of a job as He did.  And typically, just when I think that things couldn't get any better and that all is right with the world, He up and moves one to remote places where I can't chat with her regularly  (That's what I get for living in a military town. :) ) or allows her to somehow not be as primary in my life.  But as He moves her, and I weep and mourn over the loss that I am feeling by watching another special friend move away - He drops another right in my path... not to take the place of the one that has left - but to build a new relationship to hone me in a different way.  Just like a stone has many facets - if one of the facets isn't buffed and rubbed in just the right way it won't show it's brilliance to the fullest extent.

Each of these women hone me - to encourage me to shine brilliantly.  Each one has different strengths and weaknesses... each has different talents and dreams.  And just like a puzzle - each one fits me "just right" in certain areas - challenging me to be who God intended for me to become.

As I reflect on each of these girlfriends, I realize how much I am loved by God Himself.  He specifically chose each one of these women to be in my life at this time... He knew I would need each of them for talking, laughing hysterically, weeping, confiding, receiving admonition and advice, and just being.  They challenge me, check on me, encourage me, and pray for me.  And as I just finished visiting BFF - I praise the Lord Almighty for all of the ways He shows His love for me... specifically today, for the relationships of precious women who I consider special friends.  To those women - I love you more than you'll ever know.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Right back at ya, my friend :) God's ways truly are perfect, even though I often struggle to see His silver lining, time and time again. Thankfully, it's laways there, and every time-- more pronounced than I ever imagined.

Keep plugging away~ hope you have a terrific week ahead! We're still working towards normalcy... whatever in the world THAT is :)

Love you gobs,
me