Thursday, January 7, 2010

Blinded

Back in September I started attending Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) which is an interdenominational Bible Study which does just that - study the BIBLE - nothing more.  They don't use any additional resources but the Bible. 

Every year they study a different theme or book... this year the book is John.  Oh how God has opened my eyes to so many things.

Today I helped out in the 3-4 year old class.  The lesson for them is the same for the adults.  It was about the blind beggar in John 9.  Even in the telling of it to the little ones my heart was tweaked and moved at the realization of how blind I am at times.  Blind. To my own sin, to my own prejudices, to my own preconceived notions.  Blind.  Sometimes to what God is doing in my life, to which way He is leading me, to why He allows suffering or difficulty.  In my life, in the lives of my friends and family, or even in the lives of strangers I encounter.  I am blinded to the way God is leading me to help others.  I am blinded to how God is moving in my life because I'm not expecting Him to move in such a way - I sit an wait for Him to move the way I want Him to move - then I miss it... an awesome opportunity to see Him at work.
I am like a Pharisee - who is supposed to know the Bible - supposed to know Him...

I am reminded by the passage that God works in the hearts of the humble.  Those who call out to Him for mercy.  Those who are blind and know they are in a state of need.  He hears. He heals. He helps. 

The neatest thing is that the blind beggar was not only physically blind, but also spiritually blind.  By the time Jesus was finished with him he not only saw his parents for the first time in his entire life, but he also saw His Lord!  He recognized that Jesus was the Savior. His Savior.  Neither change could have occurred without Jesus.  That is simply. Awesome.

Today it really hit home that every time that someone trusts Jesus as their Savior it is a miracle.  No one can just do that.  It is the work of the Holy Spirit alone.  A true miracle. The Holy Spirit's work.  To make a blind man see... to change a blind heart.

No comments: