Friday, January 1, 2010

Potential to Possibility

Potential is defined by Merriam-Webster's online dictionary as existing in possibility. 


A friend I greatly respect recently gave me a book for Christmas.  In the book was a typewritten note from my friend conveying that he believed that we (my husband and I) "have great potential for applying the principles of this book- namely those of intentionally investing in the lives of others to make a difference."   At first glance of this note I was deeply touched, to the point of tears, that my mentor would think that I had great potential for reaching people.  I was humbled, excited, and touched that he would write such things.  


After pondering for a while I reexamined what he said.  In his comments he stated that I have POTENTIAL. That is the possibility of reaching people to make a difference.  What is the difference between having the potential to do something and actually doing it?  It is the action of the person. I could have huge amounts of potential, but if I do nothing then the potential is wasted.  For example, when an archer pulls back on the string of the bow to shoot an arrow, the string has potential energy.  If the archer never lets go the arrow goes nowhere and affects nothing.  However, if the archer lets go of the string and the arrow the potential has become possibility. 


In 2010 will I be just potential or will I crossover to possibility?  I desire to leave a mark on my world for eternity.  I want to make a difference in the lives of people, not for my success but for my significance.  You see the world drives after success - a bigger office, a higher salary, a newer car, a larger house. Unfortunately, there's always more for which to strive. Success ends at the point of loss - loss of job, loss of house or money, or loss of life.


Being significant doesn't have to do with success.  Significance has to do with investing in people.  Showing people you care.  It takes much more time to be significant, but the rewards are endless.   Significance is spending time with others, investing in their lives... teaching them, being transparent with them.  Significance trickles down.  Teaching others how to be significant so they in turn take up the mantle and become a mentor in someone else's life teaching them to be significant in the lives of others.  The results are exponential.

So back to the challenge... will I choose potential or possibility?  Will I accept the challenge, or will I sit and do what I have done in the past? Will I use the tools written in the book, or will I put it on the shelf and get to it when I have more time? Everyday, on my knees, I'll choose significance.   Not because I have potential, but because I want my potential to turn to possibility!

 Matt. 19:26

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

















 

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm cheering you on, my friend... and I'm running the race with you! Much love, me